Sunday, January 25, 2009

When You Wish

WHEN YOU WISH
by
Randy C. Watts


A childish wish I made that night,
that one day I would see
my favorite "leader of the club,"
for he was real, to me.

Now many years have come and gone,
my temples, worn and gray.
I guard the Magic Kingdom now
to pass the time away.

I see that all the doors and gates
are closed securely tight;
that all is well protected
‘til the early morning light.

One night a special visit
added meaning to my quest.
I’m not sure I can tell it well,
I’ll do my very best.



The night seemed fairly normal,
with scattered lights and sounds.
The park was closed and it was time
to make my scheduled rounds.

Then suddenly there came a change,
I felt a tingling chill.
No longer did I hear the sounds,
the park grew dark and still.

A flicker high above my head
had caught my wandering sight.
From Cinderella’s Castle
came a ray of brilliant light.

Through second story windows
I could see the shadows skate.
I knew my obligation
was to go investigate.

I slowly climbed the castle stairs
and waited at the door.
A gentle laughter filled the room,
I had to find out more.


Although he left us years ago,
it came as no surprise.
Through a cloudy mist I recognized
that kindly set of eyes.

Before me sat Walt Disney
with Mickey standing near.
It seemed that they were making plans
for another Disney year,

They heard me gasp, and turned their heads
to find me looking in.
The mouse was fairly startled,
the man put forth a grin.

"Now its time to say goodbye”
I thought I heard them say.
The light reduced to darkness
as I watched them fade away.

I shook my head and pinched my cheek.
Could this have been a dream?
When old men work long hours
things aren’t always as they seem.

But as I left I heard a voice,
it said, "I promised you …
that when you wish upon a star
it always will come true."

2 comments:

  1. to this day i still have never been to disneyland or disneyworld. i hope that one day with my kids i shall go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is no doubt in my mind that one day you will visit "THE HAPPIEST PLACE ON EARTH"! When it happens, try to make it happen in Florida ... there is so much more to see and do.

    ReplyDelete